HellFire Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread, an explosion of flavors for your palate!
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
2/3 cup half-and-half cream
2 large eggs
1 TBS of Chipotle Tabasco (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped or 1 small green onion
1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
1 cup drained canned corn sweet niblets
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese, more to taste
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (or to taste)
¾ to 1 cup Toasty Cheese Hellfire
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch round cast iron pan or 8 x 8-inch or a 9 x 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl mix together cornmeal with flour, sugar baking powder, garlic powder, milk, eggs, chipotle tabasco, salt and melted butter or oil until well blended.
- Add in onion and creamed corn and thawed corn; mix to combine.
- Pour half the batter into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the layer with grated cheese and jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the remaining batter on top of the cheese and jalapeno peppers.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (baking time will vary slightly depending on the size of pan used).
- Remove from oven and generously spread ¾ to 1 cup of Hellfire honey over the entire top of the warm cornbread. Be sure to include the red fire flakes for taste and appearance.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Recipe submitted by Karl Friedman. From an original recipe by Paula Deen with a few alterations, like the Tabasco and the Hellfire. It was excellent and will also freeze well.